Improving safety at work
While safety at work comes down to more than just shoes, using appropriate footwear is a significant factor in safety. The most typical accident suffered by early-morning delivery personnel is slipping and tripping in staircases.
Posti’s early-morning delivery personnel received new slip-resistant cold-weather shoes for the winter. Three different models were approved after testing. Based on their personal preferences, mail carriers can choose heavy or light shoes, either with recessed cleats or a slip-resistant sole.
For Willy Kougwa, who delivers newspapers and day mail in central Helsinki, work is a sport. In spite of his energetic approach, Willy hasn’t had any accidents in over two years of working at Posti.
- It’s important to always exercise caution. Sometimes the staircase lights will go out on you, so it’s a good idea to keep pushing the switches often, Willy says.
Trainees arrive in Posti!
In April, seven young adults from the world of higher education began a Trainee program that continued until the end of August. The trainees worked in sales and digital marketing.
- My expectations regarding Posti were quite positive. My previous experience with the company was limited to being a consumer customer. When I learned more about the company, I was surprised by the breadth of Posti’s product and service offering. Posti as a company has always represented Finnishness to me, and it has played a prominent role in daily life. After all, we all get our mail delivered by Posti, says Olli Koskivuo, a Marketing Management student at the University of Vaasa.
Saara Kaihlanen, who is writing her Master’s Thesis in Food Economics at the University of Helsinki, was also surprised by the wide variety of services Posti offers to companies and consumers.
- I think it’s great that Posti offers not only parcel and logistics services, but even the opportunity to have your lawn mowed for you!
Courier company MaxiPost becomes part of Itella Russia
Itella Russia acquired the Russian courier company MaxiPost in the spring. Founded in 2000, MaxiPost provides courier services to small and large companies. Its main markets are Moscow and St Petersburg and the areas around the two cities. It delivers items in more than 290 cities and towns across Russia.
MaxiPost specializes in the delivery of parcels for e-commerce operators. Its customers include many fashion and cosmetics companies such as aGROUPON, Mascotte, Zenden and Dekatlon.
The MaxiPost acquisition allows Itella to strengthen its e-commerce and parcel services expertise. Russia is among the world’s 10 largest e-commerce markets.
Posti is awarded the Key Flag symbol
The Association for Finnish Work granted Posti Ltd membership in the association and the right to use the Key Flag symbol in the spring.
The main criterion for granting the Key Flag is always that the product must have been manufactured or the service produced in Finland. In addition, a domesticness rate is taken into consideration, which must be at least 50 percent of the absorption cost. The company must also have a significant share of Finnish ownership and its executive management and head office must be located in Finland.
- Domesticness is important to Posti. We fulfill all the criteria set for awarding the Key Flag and want that this will also be seen in our services and operations. It is easy to tell from the familiar Key Flag that Posti is Finnish, operates in Finland and provides jobs to Finns, says Jukka Rosenberg, SVP, Parcel and Logistics Services.
Posti manages Hobby Hall’s logistics chain
Stockmann and Posti signed an agreement on transferring the logistics operations of Hobby Hall to Posti starting from the beginning of May. The agreement covers the warehousing of Hobby Hall’s products, online store logistics services — including dispatches and the center for product returns — and the transportation of products to the Hobby Hall store in Tammisto.
- Posti is Stockmann’s long-term partner and a provider of diverse logistics services. With this arrangement, we wish to implement new logistics solutions that meet today’s requirements and enable us to develop Hobby Hall’s business rapidly, says Björn Höglund, Logistics Director at Stockmann.
Hobby Hall’s products will be stored and processed in Vantaa, at Finland’s first service center that is geared to facilitating e-commerce logistics. The robot-assisted hybrid warehouse can bring as many as two or three additional days of sales for online stores.
Posti expanded into food logistics and acquired Veine
Posti acquired Veine, a company specializing in temperature-regulated logistics, in the summer. Veine is a Finnish logistics company that offers transport, terminal, delivery and warehousing services. It is one of the most significant operators in its field in Finland.
- This acquisition was in line with Posti’s strategy of expanding its logistics services with food logistics. Together, Posti and Veine can offer competitive food logistics solutions with national coverage, says Jukka Rosenberg, SVP, Parcel and Logistics Services at Posti.
- Together with Posti, we can focus on developing our food logistics services and improving our competitiveness; for example, with regard to line haulage and local terminal functions, says Tuomo Rannila, Managing Director of Veine. (in the picture)
Strong demand for lawn mowing service
Posti is constantly developing new services delivered to homes. In one such move, Posti offered lawn mowing services on Tuesdays from May to September. Tuesday was selected as the day for providing the lawn mowing service due to the traditionally lower mail volumes on Tuesdays.
- A lot of my work takes place indoors, so it was great to get to go outside for an hour. Positive feedback from the customers is also very rewarding, says Kerttu Junttila, an Assistant Supervisor based in Hollola.
According to Delivery Manager Kati Vanhanen, the orders for the one-hour lawn mowing service were evenly spread across different areas.
- Mowing just one lawn is easier to fit into the workday than multiple lawns. In some cases, we’ve also had a volunteer lawn mower perform the service in an area that is not his or her delivery area. Some locations fit into delivery routes quite naturally, Vanhanen explains.
For the love of coffee and the battles of daily life
The entrepreneurial ventures of the Finnish hip-hop artist and producer Elastinen are inspired by his passions: music, sports and coffee. His cooperation with Riku Uski led to the creation of Warrior Coffee.
- Music, sports and coffee are important parts of my daily life. Warrior Coffee is coffee produced with love, devotion and good vibes. We know exactly where our coffee beans come from. We roast the coffee in our own roastery and ship it to homes and businesses for our customers to enjoy, Elastinen says.
According to Elastinen, Warrior Coffee is perfect for the battles of daily life.
- I use coffee as a stimulant to get myself ready for the battles of the day.
Warrior Coffee’s products are shipped to customers in Finland and around the world by Posti.
Kotipizza boosts sales through coupons in Postinen
Pizza coupons on the back page of Postinen are known to cause a run on Kotipizza restaurants. This became evident in the very first campaign in June 2015, when the chain ran out of ham due to an avalanche of customers bearing coupons.
- We’ve noticed that our coupons in Postinen certainly get widely used. Their impact on our sales is even more effective than TV advertising, says Kaisa Karjalainen, Marketing Manager at Kotipizza. Postinen and Kotipizza coupons also played an important role in April 2016 when Kotipizza hit its monthly sales record of EUR 7.14 million.
Even the pizzas themselves could not be made without Posti, as more than 270 restaurants across Finland receive their dry ingredients carried by Posti.